Q: What paperwork must be completed to obtain investigative services?

A: We require a basic investigative contract to be filled out and returned with your retainer. This contract may be emailed or faxed to you upon your request if you are not located in proximity to our office.
Q: What is a retainer?
A: A retainer is a pre-determined amount of money paid to our firm for investigative services. Our firm pays its investigators an hourly rate and expenses related to your investigation from this retainer.
Q: Are private investigators required to be licensed in North Carolina?
A: Yes, and all of our investigators are state licensed. If anyone offers to provide you with investigative services without being licensed in North Carolina, it is a criminal offense.
Q: What do I do if I suspect that my spouse is being unfaithful, but I am unsure?
A: A useful first step is to review our Common Signs of Infidelity and review how many signs your spouse is currently exhibiting.
Q: How do I tell my attorney of your findings in an investigation?
A: We provide our clients with a written report within 30 days of the conclusion of the investigation. Payment for all outstanding investigative services is required before reports, video, and any other information is released.
Q: How much does an investigation cost?
A: No two investigations are the same. We base our rate on hourly and daily fees as well as flat rate fees. Before we begin any investigation, we take the time to discuss rates with our clients. Our rates are competitively and reasonably priced, and we work with the financial situations of our clients as much as possible.
Q: Can you guarantee results?
A: No private investigation firm can guarantee that they can provide you with the results that you need. Though we cannot guarantee results, we can guarantee that we will conduct the investigation properly, professionally, ethically, and objectively. The information that we obtain for you will be acquired in a legal manner that can be confidently introduced in a court of law as needed.
Q: Can you help me to record phone calls?
A: No, our firm does not record nor instruct clients on how to record telephone calls.
Q: Can you assist me in getting copies of cell phone bills? 
A: If you are not the actual account holder, then we cannot obtain cell phone records. They must be obtained through a properly issued subpoena done by your attorney.
Q: Once started, can I stop or pause an investigation?
A: Yes, an investigation can be stopped or suspended by simply contacting our office.
Q: Who will know that you are conducting an investigation for me?
A: We do not discuss any investigation being conducted with anyone except for the client and the client’s attorney when notified to do so.
Q: What if I have questions or concerns during an investigation? 
A: Please let any questions and/or concerns that you may have be known so that we can address them as soon as possible.